Jul 25, 2013

How To Configure A Lenovo Thinkpad T530 With Docking Station For Dual Monitors in Ubuntu

At my day job I have a pretty awesome Lenovo T530 laptop, and up until yesterday I was running Windows 7 on it. I decided to install Bauer-Puntu 13.04 on it instead, and for anything Windows related I would use Remmina to RDP to a server, or use a Windows 7 VM in Virtualbox.

By default the T530 has Nvidia Optimus enabled in the bios which is great for Windows 7 or Windows 8, but it doesn't work so well in Ubuntu. I have read where people had success using Bumblebee to make Ubuntu play well with it, but I didn't have any luck. So this is how I got dual monitors to work for me

• Switch to discrete graphics mode in your bios

• Install the latest Nvidia drivers from the Ubuntu repositories

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
  • Edit your grub config and append nox2apic after "quiet splash"

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Change

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

to:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nox2apic"

• Update grub

sudo update-grub

• Reboot
After I did that I was able to go into the Nvidia X Server Settings and setup  my screens to use TwinView.

Did you get it to work a different way? Were you successful with Bumblebee? If so, what did you do differently? Let us know in the comments.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | stopping spam