Damn that title makes me hungry… Seriously, doesn’t that make you crave an actual Ice Cream Sandwich? Anyway, enough about that, you know I’m talking about the latest and greatest Android operating system, Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0). It’s not officially available for the HTC Evo 4G, so I am going to give you the next best thing. It’s a custom ROM built on Gingerbread (Version 2.3.7) with a really awesome Ice Cream Sandwich launcher called Syndroid 4.0.
The ROM is based on Cyanogen Mod 7.1, which is built on the Gingerbread Android platform. Even if it isn’t the “real” Ice Cream Sandwich, it is still better than the stock ROM that HTC gives you, plus it doesn’t have all the bloatware that comes with the stock ROM (Amazon MP3 and Blockbuster? Really?). The best thing in my opinion though is the email application which allows you to finally select multiple emails and mark them all as read! Hells yes!
Here’s what you need to install this custom Ice Cream Sandwich themed ROM:
- You’re EVO must be rooted
- You need to install Rom Manager from Clockwork Mod (It’s free)
- You need to download the custom ROM using one of these links: (ICS ROM FTP or ICS ROM Torrent)
First off, if your Evo isn’t rooted, I recommend using Unrevoked3, it’s probably the easiest way to root your Evo. If you don’t know how to perform the rooting procedure, you can Google it.
- Once your phone is rooted, you can install Rom Manager from the Android Market.
- Next, download the ISC ROM zip file from the links above and save it to your phone’s SD card.
- In ROM Manager select the option to install ROM from SD card, and browse to the ICS zip file.
- Check all the boxes to wipe your cache, and backup your existing ROM, then follow the prompts.
Pretty soon your phone will reboot and go through the setup. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy! Want to see that it will look like? Check out this quick video I made here:
Looks cool? Thinking about doing the same? Have questions? Please sound off in the comments!