Oh man, I write this blog post feeling absolutely foolish and humble. Please be gentle on me in the comments...
The other day I needed to map a network drive for a number of users, so naturally I added a net use command to their login scripts. Simple right? Well, for some reason their drives just wouldn't map, and they were getting the following message if they manually ran the script:
System error 67 has occurred.
The network name cannot be found.
For the life of me, I couldn't figure out what it was. I could manually map the drive fine through Explorer, but using the net use command at the command prompt didn't work at all.
After Googling, and searching, and sifting through bullshit forum posts about needing to enable WINS (This is not true), I finally got to playing around and figured out what my dumb ass did wrong...
I added an extra "\" at the end of the UNC path...
net use j: \\servername\fileshare\
It needed to be
net use j: \\servername\fileshare
Once I removed the extra "\" it worked just fine!
It's weird, but after being in IT for over 12 years, I still sometimes mess up the simple stuff. Nobody is perfect I guess. Still though, if you are here, I'm assuming you probably ran into the same thing. Hopefully this helps you out and we can all start a support group in the comments!