Another goody from Nir Sofer, the sole developer of Nirsoft is a handy dandy utility for finding passwords in email clients. To be more specific, it finds passwords for POP3, SMTP, and IMAP in those clients.
Think about the practical (and legal) use for this for a second. You are configuring your Grandma a new computer, and you need to configure her email client on her new computer. You can't expect that senile old bat to remember her password on her old computer now can you? (Kidding!)
This tool is called Mail PassView. From the Nirsoft site:
Mail PassView is a small password-recovery tool that reveals the passwords and other account details for the following email clients:Here is a screen shot:
- Outlook Express
- Microsoft Outlook 2000 (POP3 and SMTP Accounts only)
- Microsoft Outlook 2002/2003/2007 (POP3, IMAP, HTTP and SMTP Accounts)
- Windows Mail
- Netscape 6.x/7.x (If the password is not encrypted with master password)
- Mozilla Thunderbird (If the password is not encrypted with master password)
- Group Mail Free
- Yahoo! Mail - If the password is saved in Yahoo! Messenger application.
- Hotmail/MSN mail - If the password is saved in MSN/Windows/Live Messenger application.
- Gmail - If the password is saved by Gmail Notifier application, Google Desktop, or by Google Talk.
If your client isn't supported by Mail PassView, there is another option from Nirsoft.... for that you will have to wait for part III.